How to Create a Daily Care Plan Checklist for Dementia Patients
A person with progressive dementia will eventually need a caregiver's help to organize their day. Structured and planned activities can often reduce anxiety and improve the mood of your loved one with dementia. Things can become more manageable if you create a dementia care plan to provide effective care to your loved one.
A daily care checklist will help you understand what needs to be done and when. It can be helpful for both – you as a caregiver and the person living with dementia.
Things to Consider When Creating a Daily Care Plan Checklist
Consider these things when you are creating a daily care plan checklist for a loved one with dementia.
- Involve them in creative activities (art, crafts, music, etc.)
- Household chores (cooking, laundry, house cleaning, etc.)
- Personal care (dressing, oral care, bathing, etc.)
- Train them with brain-boosting activities (reading, games, puzzles, etc.)
- Pay attention to medication schedule (fix time for medicine)
- Include their hobbies (painting, gardening, knitting, sewing, etc.)
- Mealtimes (eating schedule)
- Physical activity (walking, yoga, stretching, etc.)
- Social gathering (visit a family or friend's house, attend a party)
- Shopping (go once or twice in a week for shopping)
- Spontaneous (visiting with neighbors, visiting friends, have a family fun time)
- Make notes of a daily care plan.
How to Create a Dementia Care Plan
Apart from creating a daily care plan checklist to improve the overall well-being of dementia patients, you also need to focus on these points when planning daily activities for them.
- The person's abilities, likes, dislikes, and strengths.
- Past life; How did the patient use to spend their time before being diagnosed with dementia?
- Monitor the patient to find out when they are at their functional best. Schedule more activities when they feel energetic.
- Set up a specific time for waking up going to bed for an optimal sleep pattern.
Remember that dementia patients need to maintain a perfect balance between their activity and rest.
Here is a sample dementia care plan that will help patients while focusing on different activities all through the day.
- Help with morning hygiene routine such as washing face, brushing, and getting dressed.
- Prepare breakfast and have it together.
- Have a conversation over coffee, take a walk.
- Do some household chores together.
- Take a break and do meditation.
- Make and eat lunch, wash dishes together.
- Spend some fun time together, listen to music, watch a favorite movie, or play puzzles.
- Engage in some physical activities like weeding and planting, etc.
- Visit family members, neighbors, or friends.
- Look at family photos and indulge in talk about memories of the images.
- Prepare dinner and eat together.
- Engage in conversation while having dessert or coffee.
- Do comforting activities like giving a massage, watching a movie, and playing cards.
- Help with night routines, such as a bath or shower.
- Read a favorite book or discuss the good moments in life before going to bed.
With this care plan for dementia, you can help patients initiate and complete their day to day activities. However, as time passes, symptoms of dementia change, so you need to be flexible in your daily care plan.